Is the Code Compliance Division required to provide a first notice?

No, it is provided primarily as a courtesy to the property owner. The code officer may choose to send a case directly to the Special Magistrate without providing the first courtesy notice if there is a life safety violation, if a nuisance has been declared, or if there is a repetitive history for the property or owner. In that case, a Notice of Violation/Notice of Hearing will be sent to the property owner notifying them of the violation and Special Magistrate hearing date.

Show All Answers

1. Can I appeal the Special Magistrate’s decision to the Wellington Council?
2. Can I file an appeal of a decision of the Special Magistrate?
3. Can the Code Officer enter onto my property to conduct the inspection?
4. Can Wellington foreclose on the property if the liens are not paid?
5. Does Wellington ever correct or “abate” the violation?
6. How does the Code Compliance Division “select” the properties they inspect?
7. If a lien is filed, does it attach to only the property that was the subject of the violation?
8. Is the Code Compliance Division required to provide a first notice?
9. What do I do if I receive a violation notice?
10. What happens if I do not attend the Special Magistrate hearing?
11. What happens if I don’t correct the problem within the time given by the code officer?
12. What is a Neighborhood Improvement Inspection?
13. What type of notice does the Code Compliance Division provide if a violation is found?
14. Will I have to pay a fine?