September 3, 2019 10:02 AM
Update 7 Wellington Begins Cleanup Efforts as Hurricane Dorian Moves North
Wellington Emergency Management officials continue to monitor Hurricane Dorian and its progress. Emergency Officials are preparing for Tropical Storm Force winds and heavy rainfall.
The Village remains under a Tropical Storm Warning. According to the National Weather Service, we can expect to see winds of 20 to 40 miles per hour with potential gusts of up to 50 miles per hour Tuesday afternoon. We encourage residents to continue watching local weather forecasts as they return to normal activities. Please be cautious while driving and working around your home until after the storm has passed.
As a reminder, waste collection services are CANCELLED until further notice. Village offices and facilities are closed Tuesday, September 3, 2019, but will reopen Wednesday, September 4th.
Some of the actions we’re taking today include:
• Clearing palm fronds and other debris on our roads
• Monitoring canal elevation levels
• Clearing storm-water drain covers and inlets to allow proper drainage
Our canal levels are well within normal levels; we are in good condition and prepared for the predicted rain.
HURRICANE CALL CENTER
Wellington's Hurricane Call Center (561-791-4000) will close at noon (September 3) and will resume normal hours of operation on Wednesday, September 4 from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
WASTE COLLECTION UPDATE
• Solid Waste collection is CANCELLED until further notice.
• Local landfills are closed until further notice.
• DO NOT place any household waste, recycling, bulk items or debris at the curb – they will not be picked up.
• Debris left curbside can clog storm drains and exacerbate flooding.
EVENT & FACILITY CLOSURES AND CANCELATIONS
• Village offices and facilities are closed Tuesday, September 3rd.
• All parks and facilities are closed, and all programs canceled until further notice as we continue to monitor Hurricane Dorian.
SCHOOLS CLOSED TUESDAY & WEDNESDAY
• Palm Beach County School District offices and schools will be closed on Tuesday, September 3rd and Wednesday, Sept 4th.
For storm updates and information visit Wellingtonfl.gov/HurricaneDorian, and follow us on Facebook (@VillageofWellington) & Twitter (@wellingtonflgov).