Celebrate Diversity Month
April is Diversity Month, a time to recognize and celebrate the beauty of our unique cultures, backgrounds, and traditions. Wellington is focusing on creating meaningful interaction, opportunity, and inclusion for all people. As a people, we are the intersectionality of race, ethnic origin and color, religion and creed, sexual orientation, age, ability, sizes, and shapes, to name but a few. We originate from a myriad of cultures, steeped in a multitude of belief systems and traditions.
It is important that we find value in each other’s experiences, differences, and unique characteristics as it enables us to respond with relevance, empathy, and compassion. By celebrating and sharing our authentic selves, we gain a greater appreciation of each other and the diversity that surrounds us. Celebrating diversity not only boosts cultural awareness but most importantly creates spaces of inclusion and fosters belonging where people feel valued.
An appreciation and respect for differences can make the world a better place for everyone. Here are some ways you can do exactly that:
What You Can Do to Celebrate This Month
- Support diverse businesses which have been heavily impacted by the pandemic.
- Consider visiting or using services from a diverse vendor to show your support for their business.
- Host a multicultural movie night with your family. There are many great options available for great family time together.
- Attend a virtual cultural art exhibit. Learn more about other cultures through the lens of fine and contemporary art from museums around the world in the comfort of your own home. Here are 12 Famous Museums Offer Virtual Tours You Can Take on Your Couch (Video)
- Play music from around the world. Celebrate your friends, family, and colleagues by asking them to share examples of music from their own culture or heritage during your next virtual meeting, coffee chat, or happy hour.
- Have a discussion with someone from another culture about their cultural values.
- Explore local ethnic restaurants and try food from a different culture that you’ve never tasted before.
Corona Virus or Corona Bias?
In uncertain times we need to make sure we are thinking more deeply about our reactions to those around us. This short video helps to give us all a little nudge in an uncertain world, particularly in a working environment - office or remote. Watch the Corona Bias video and share with a colleague how you combat bias.
Multi-Cultural Movie Night
Here's an idea for a multicultural movie night with your family. Walt Disney Studios hit, Zootopia (2016). Zootopia is a family film that shows the importance of diversity, understanding, and inclusion of those who may differ from us in one way or another. Watching Zootopia as a family will allow you to start key discussions about how we treat one another and finding value in every person.