Get help finding a job through CareerSource Palm Beach County
COVID-19 Community Resources
Palm Beach County CARES ACT Assistance Programs
Rent & Utilities Assistance
The CARES ACT Coronavirus Relief Fund Rent and Utilities Assistance Program provides one-time rental and utility assistance to eligible Palm Beach County residents who have experienced the loss of income, reduction in hours, or unemployment as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic only.
Assistance will only be provided for past due rents and/or utilities due from March 1, 2020, to December 30, 2020.
For more information, visit Palm Beach County’s Community Services Department’s website or call 561-355-4792.
Mortgage Assistance Program
Deadline to Apply: Friday, August 14, 2020
CARES Act funding will provide assistance to income-eligible households who are delinquent in their first mortgage and escrow payments (PITI). Additionally, funding may assist with late fees, attorney’s fees, condominium and homeowners’ association payments, special assessments, and other mortgage associated costs related to COVID-19.
Applications will be accepted on a first-come, first qualified, first-served basis, subject to funding availability. Applicants must meet the program requirements, at the time of application submittal.
Visting the County’s Housing and Economic Sustainability’s website to see the application criteria.
FPL Bill Payment Assistance
Are you or someone you know struggling to pay your FPL bill as a result of hardships due to COVID-19? Florida Power & Light urges customers to take action and call them directly, at 800-226-3545, to discuss their situation.
The company also continues to help customers in the following ways:
- Since mid-March, FPL has suspended disconnections for nonpayment while helping connect customers with financial assistance.
- And, where there is a hardship, the company continues to waive late fees and offer customers additional payment extensions to help them manage past-due FPL balances.
- Visit FPL’s Coronavirus webpage for additional information.
Palm Beach County Food distribution sites
Food Finder Map
United Way has launched an Interactive Food Finder map to assist in locating food and hot meals across Palm Beach County.
Feeding South Florida
See locations on Feeding South Florida Calendar of Food Distributions. These sites provide groceries in a drive-thru style. The list is updated daily.
School District of Palm Beach County
Food distribution will continue on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 52 school locations through the summer or until further notice. Food distribution is from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM. Each day, parents or guardians who pick up food will receive a kit with three days’ worth of meals for each child.
Palm Beach County COVID-19 Testing
Palm Beach County’s Interactive Testing Map features all county COVID-19 testing sites. This map will help you find the closest private or community-based testing location to you. Several of the sites are government-supported and have free testing with a variety of restrictions and processes. Many others are private labs, urgent care facilities, or pharmacies that will bill your insurance.
Local Unemployment Assistance
Florida Reemployment Assistance Application
Access the Florida Reemployment Assistance Application.
Palm Beach County Library System
The Palm Beach County Library System offers resources to help those unemployed due to COVID-19. Staff are available by phone, email and chat to help members who have questions or need assistance filling out unemployment/reemployment forms through Ask-A-Librarian on the Palm Beach County Library System website.
Free Printing & Mailing at FedEx Stores
FedEx Corp. is making available paper unemployment-compensation applications at about 100 sites in Florida as jobless numbers soar because of the coronavirus. Please call your local store to find out if they are providing free printing & mailing of reemployment assistance applications.
Resources for Veterans
- Veterans with COVID-19 symptoms should call the VA Medical Center (561) 422-8262
- Veterans in distress should call the VA 24-hour hotline at (800) 273-8255 or text 838255
- List of smartphone apps for self-help and coping strategies at the VA App Store
- VA-specific information at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs COVID-19 webpage
Area Agency on Aging Helpline at (866) 684-5885 for assistance with food, electricity bills, Medicare and caregiver resources
211’s Sunshine is a free program that provides a daily phone call with friendly help and well-being check for seniors who are feeling isolated and alone. Call 211 or visit the website at 211palmbeach.org
Mental Health Resources
- Palm Beach County Youth Services provides free telemental health services for children and families by calling (561) 242-5714
- Anyone experiencing stress, anxiety, and fear due to COVID-19 may call the Catholic Charities Counseling Program hotline at (844) 848-6777
Stay Healthy and Vote by Mail
I urge Palm Beach County voters to sign up to vote by mail. Voters can request a Vote-by-Mail ballot online from the Palm Beach County Supervisor of Elections Office.
Return postage on Vote-by-Mail ballots is prepaid. Stay healthy and vote by mail!
Palm Beach County Library System
The Palm Beach County Library System is offering one-on-one chat with a librarian. They can help you with any of your technology needs and including navigating the virtual classroom. Video chat sessions are available through the Zoom app. Call (561) 233-2600 to book an appointment.
Tutor.com and Live Homework help is a free library service that offers online tutoring in math, science, social studies and language arts. Live one-on-one sessions are available every day from 12:00 PM – 12:00 AM. Assistance in Spanish is available from 2:00 PM – 12:00 AM.
The Library has many free online resources to help you advance your career during the “Safer at Home” order. You can learn new skills, rework your resume, and take actions to prepare you to return to the workforce.
• Udemy is an online learning tool with courses available in a wide-range of categories like leadership, software, and personal development. The self-paced courses include videos, resources that can be downloaded and saved, and exercises and activities.
• Career Transitions is an online career guidance center that walks users through the job-search process from beginning to end. Assists with creating resumes and cover letters, assessing career interests, finding job listings, and interview preparation.
• Learning Express walks users through the job-search process from beginning to end. Assists with creating resumes and cover letters, assessing career interests, finding job listings, and interview preparation.
You can now stream Freegal Music 24 hours a day until September 30, 2020.
Get a free temporary e-card to people in the Library District and the Library Cooperative and for any child in Palm Beach County. The card allows you to access our online resources and services.
Visit the Virtual Library website at http://www.pbclibrary.org/coronavirus-virtual-library to sign up for the e-card.