Are You Ready for Hurricane Season?
As we continue to take precautions to keep our community safe during the COVID-19 Pandemic, we must also prepare for hurricane season. The Atlantic hurricane season runs June 1st through November 30th. This year, forecasters are predicting above-normal activity.
Each year our community works together to prepare for the uncertainty of hurricane season. We review plans and stock up on supplies; we know the drill. This year, however, will require some additional preparation due to COVID-19. The new challenges from this virus make it more important than ever to prepare.
Here are some of the things you should be doing right now to prepare your family and your home:
- Make an Emergency Plan: Make sure everyone in your household knows and understands your hurricane plan. Discuss the latest CDC guidance on COVID-19 and how it may affect your hurricane planning. Complete a family communication plan.
- Stock up on Supplies: Have enough food, water, and other supplies for every member of your family to last at least 72 hours. Consider what unique needs your family might have, such as supplies for pets or seniors and prescription medications. Given concerns about COVID-19, FEMA recommends that you add two cloth face coverings per family member and cleaning items to your kit, like soap, hand sanitizer, disinfecting wipes, or general household cleaning supplies to disinfect surfaces.
- Trim Trees and Clean out the Garage: Be proactive and complete yard work and tree-trimming projects now, to avoid overwhelming our waste collection system when a storm is approaching. When disposing of household debris, please take special care disposing of COVID-19 related items such as gloves and masks. Place your garbage in tight, closed bags to help keep our sanitation crews safe.
- Check Your Insurance Coverage: Review your policy. Ensure you are adequately covered and understand exclusions. Contact your agent for any changes.
- Special Needs Shelters: You must register with Palm Beach County in advance. Please call (561) 712-6400 (TTY 561-712-6342).
Know where to go for trusted sources of information during a storm.
We encourage residents to also follow the Village on Facebook and Twitter, and tune in to our local radio station, AM 1680 (within Wellington limits), or by watching the WellingtonTV on AT&T U-verse 99 or Xfinity 18.
Wellington’s Emergency call center is activated during storm events and may be contacted at 561-791-4000 for storm-related information.