Current Flood Maps
Find Your Property
- Palm Beach County Geographic Information System (GIS) can determine flood designations for each property.
- Wellington residents find your property on the flood map.
Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA)
The land area covered by the floodwaters of the base flood is the Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) on National Flood Insurance Program's (NFIP) maps. The SFHA is the area where the NFIPs floodplain management regulations must be enforced and the area where the mandatory purchase of flood insurance applies. The SFHA includes these zones:
Flood Zones Definitions
- Base Flood Elevation (BFE): The computed elevation to which floodwater is anticipated to rise during the base flood. Base Flood Elevations (BFEs) are shown on FIRMs and on the flood profiles. The BFE is the regulatory requirement for the elevation or floodproofing of structures. The relationship between the BFE and a structure's elevation determines the flood insurance premium.
- Flood hazard areas identified on the Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs) are identified as a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA).
- Moderate flood hazard areas, labeled Zone B or Zone X (shaded) are also shown on the FIRM, and are the areas between the limits of the base flood and the 0.2%-annual-chance (or 500-year) flood. The areas of minimal flood hazard, which are the areas outside the SFHA and higher than the elevation of the 0.2%-annual-chance flood, are labeled Zone C or Zone X (unshaded).
- SFHA are defined as the area that will be inundated by the flood event having a 1% chance of being equaled or exceeded in any given year. The 1% annual chance flood is also referred to as the base flood or 100-year flood.
- SFHAs are labeled as Zone A, Zone AO, Zone AH, Zones A1-A30, Zone AE, Zone A99, Zone AR, Zone AR/AE, Zone AR/AO, Zone AR/A1-A30, Zone AR/A, Zone V, Zone VE, and Zones V1-V30.
Further information and definitions can be found on the FEMA Website.
Questions regarding the proposed flood maps may be directed to Matt Mills, Wellington’s Floodplain Manager. Mr. Mills can be reached at 561-791-4000 or by email to Matt Mills.