The holiday season has arrived!
Here are some tips to keep you safe while out and about!
- Lock your doors, windows, cars and garages at all times. Don't place your garage door opener in your car during this time of year. Help prevent crimes of opportunity.
- Don't hide packages in your car. "Smash and Grab" break-ins are very common this time of year.
- Keep your house exterior well lit. Dark homes are more enticing to burglars. It's getting darker earlier now, so for the next few weeks consider leaving some exterior lights on.
- Leave a television or radio on when you leave the house and schedule automatic lights.
- Store serial numbers and receipts in a special place in case you need to submit them to your insurance company.
- When out shopping or running errands late, park your car under lights and close to the main entrance to shopping malls and large stores. It may be dark when you leave - you'll be safe and feel more comfortable in a well lit area.
- Don't put your purse in shopping carts. A good idea is to have a purse that has a long strap that you can can slip over your head and it'll sit against your hip.
- Do not be distracted while walking to and from your vehicle. Have your keys ready and have your finger on the panic button in case you are approached by a stranger and feel you are in danger.
- Stay alert. Ask mall security or store staff to accompany you to your car if you feel unsafe.
- If you leave packages in your car be sure to cover up the packages or hide them in the trunk.
- Shop with a group or a partner. There is safety in numbers and they can help carry purchases.
- Don't leave bags unattended.
- Don't open your front door to just anyone who is knocking. Before opening your door make sure you know who it is.
- If shopping online make sure someone is home when the packages are delivered or have them placed behind a gate,at the side of the house, or to your neighbor's house.
- If mailing packages ask for the "sign for delivery" option.
- After holiday gift giving is over, don't leave large boxes of expensive electronics (i.e. television box, game consoles) for curbside pickup. Try to dismantle the box, or check for local SWA disposal locations. For a list of recycling drop-off locations.
- Even though you may be in a rush and thinking of your TO DO list, stay ALERT at all times.
- For online shopping make sure the website is legitimate and secure. Look for a padlock on your web browser's address bar or make sure the web address begins HTTPS.
Follow these safety tips so everyone can have an enjoyable holiday season!